Thursday, January 29, 2009

Setting A Good Exercise Example

You know they always say that you should watch what you do because your kids will want to be just like you. I have found that to be entirely the truth! I've been running again for the last week as my next 5K is this coming Sunday. (I am so NOT ready for it as I've only been running again for a week but at least this course will be all flat unlike the first one I did). Anyway, I got back from running last night and Connor was still up watching CARS. He came up to me as I was walking in the door and asked to listen to my music. So I stuck the iPod headphones in his ears (and turned the volume WAY down). Then I found "Life is a Highway" from the CARS soundtrack and turned it on for him. He got this look of amazement on his face and said "Tractor Trailer Song!"

I went into the living room and sat down to stretch while we finished watching the end of the movie. Connor asked if he could stretch with me. He's still listening to my iPod. I say sure. Then he stands back up and is like "I want to run". And he asked me to put the iPod on his arm like I do (I have an armband for it to go on my arm while I run). So I did. Then he said,"I need a watch too." So I put my heart rate monitor that I use on his wrist too. He then proceeded to run up and down the hallway!! How cute was that?? I so wish I had grabbed the camera but I got a phone call right as he was starting to run. I'm sure he'll want to do it again so hopefully I'll get a picture.

But this just goes to show that you CAN and DO set examples (whether good or bad) for your children. In every aspect, including exercising/weight issues.

No comments: