Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Book Review - Humanism for Parents



I decided to read this book because the title caught my eye - Humanism for Parents Parenting without religion. Seeing as how dh and I are of completely different religions we have chosen (for the most part) not to inflict religion into our kids lives. Is this good? Is this bad? Can't really say one way or the other as our children are still very young. I think it's more of the fact that we are in denial to make a concrete decision one way or the other. I have had no problems with him taking our son to his religious gatherings and he is cool so far with our kids attending a Christian preschool. But I wanted to know what this book was about and if I could use it to help us go through this parenting without inflicting religion into it.


So far I'm not sure that I got out of this book what I thought I would going into it. There were some ideas that I took away that weren't necessarily having anything to do with religion or the lack thereof in parenting. They are just common sense type things. For instance, he talked about when kids tattle and how you should teach them tattling to hurt someone is not good but tattling to help someone is ok.

I didn't really think this booked talked much about parenting let alone parenting without religion. It spoke mostly about what Humanism is and their thoughts and ideas. It didn't really mention much about how to use those ideals to raise your children. This book did have great questions and answers for parents to use when their kids start asking questions, but I don't define that as parenting. That is merely answering questions that raising your children as Humanists bring up. Don't get me wrong, the answers the author provides are great for those that want to raise their kids this way and give you as a parent a basis to start helping your child understand humanism but it in no way, explains how the parent is raising their child as a humanist.

Overall, I thought this book was a good read if you want to learn the basics about Humanism and what they think and their beliefs/structure. As far as a parenting book, I don't think this qualifies.

No comments: