Yikes! Is it already Week 14?!? Where did the time go? Dh was just asking me Sunday what was going on with that challenge I started way back when. I was happy to tell him I was in the lead. =D But let's see if I have learned anything over the course of these past 14 weeks. Part 1 of Week 14's challenge is a true false. Here goes!
1. Women who lift weights will get bulky muscles.
False! So not true even though so many people believe this to be true!
2. "Spot reducing" (focusing on one area with exercises to see faster results in that one area) is possible.
False! As much as most people would LOVE for this to be true. It is so NOT true. No matter what you do. You cannot control how your body wants to look and take away the weight. Now if you use plastic surgery that's a whole 'nother story!
3. Exercise boosts brain power.
True! The more you use your brain - the more your brain will learn and stay healthy. Exercising forces your brain to keep you steady and balanced therefore, boosting your brain functions.
4. No pain, no gain.
False. If there is pain, you are NOT doing it correctly. However, you will feel sore afterwards. That is completely common and acceptable as it is your muscles healing the tiny little tears when weight lifting.
5. Movement melts away stress.
6. Exercise requires a hefty time commitment.
False. Studies have shown that just exercising for 10 minutes a day is better than nothing. Even just slipping in 3 10 minute workouts a day equals 30 mins!
7. If you exercise, you can eat whatever you want.
False. How I wish this were true! The one thing I have learned is you can never eat whatever you want all the time. You can splurge. You can celebrate. But you have to watch what you eat!!
8. There’s a magic bullet (quick fix) out there somewhere.
False. The only way to lose the weight and keep it off is to CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. Even if you try to use a quick fix - you will only gain the weight right back.
9. Exercise gives you energy
True! And oh boy do I know this! It really makes me able to get through the day without being tired.
10. All excuses aside, it's actually not that hard to find some amount of time for fitness daily.
True. I walk up 105 stairs daily on my way to work leaving the subway station. That's still fitness!
11. You need a gym membership if you want your exercise routine to be most effective.
False. You can do just as much at home as you can do at a gym. It's all about know WHAT to do and HOW. Even having a gym membership doesn't mean you will be effective if you don't know HOW to USE the equipment!
12. People who have exercise partners stay with their programs and reach their goals more often than those who try to go it alone.
True. I think. I'm kinda 50/50 on this one as I know having a flaky partner is NOT good. But if you have a good partner I think you would be more likely to stick with it and reach your gosl!
13. Exercise helps ward off disease.
14. Exercise is good for the heart.
15. Pound for pound, muscle burns more calories at rest than body fat -- so you can eat more calories and still lose weight if you exercise regularly.
Ok. That's all I have time for today! Hopefully I got 15/15 right but we'll see!!!