Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Book Review - Queen Vernita Visits the Blue Ice Mountains














I read Queen Vernita Visits the Blue Ice Mountains to my 3 1/2 year old son. While he did enjoy it, I think this book is definitely for older children. This book touts teaching children the months of the year, the days of the week and the seasons through this story. It does teach all that but by doing that, it also makes it a very long book. Each friend that visits Queen Vernita comes each month and they do something each day. So that's twelve pages plus at least seven sentences each page. A little more because the author does have to set the stage. It seemed a little forced to get everything in this book to teach all the months, days and seasons but she did get them all in. While I don't agree this book is for young children (I found my son turning pages before I was done reading or myself reading only a line or two on each page), this would be a great book for elementary school students that are learning the months, days and/or seasons. I did like the illustrations as they were fun to look at (my son really did enjoy the pictures!). Overall, it's a good book but make sure you are reading to the correct audience.

No comments: