Map out a game plan for yourself for that special day. (If your NOT going to one of these, or any other special event this weekend ~ map out a game plan for something similar to have on hand when a special event comes up.) On this game plan ~ you should include healthy dishes you "could" take, and things you will do to avoid eating the stuff that is really not worth it. (I realize that get togethers are okay for some, but challenges for others. Some will indulge and then work it off later at the gym. But the point of this challenge is to have a plan in mind, so that you don't go overboard out of pressure from others, not enough control, etc..) Post this game plan on your blog!
I have a birthday party to go to on Saturday for my niece's 1st birthday. Should be fun but of course, there will be food, food and cake! YIKES! Cake is BAD. Well, I can hope it chocolate cake because I don't like chocolate cake and I can resist eating that LOL! So my game plan is hoping for chocolate cake! Just kidding!
So what are some things I can do to minimize the "damage' of the birthday party. I can:
- Eat before I go. (Make sure my tummy is full so I'm not tempted to eat).
- Bring along healthy snacks to eat - low fat chips, veggies and/or fruit
- Since it's at a park, run around after the kids the whole time (may not be pratical!)
- Bring water with me to drink. When I feel like munching, drink water instead.
- Chew Gum!!
- Cut up Fruit (It's always a hit!)
- Veggie and Dip tray - make sure you have a low cal ranch or dip option
- Reduced Fat Cream Cheese with Salsa on top and low fat (baked) tortillas
- Reduced Fat Spinach Dip (same recipe but with reduced fat mayo and sour cream, most peole can't tell the difference!!!)
The second part of this challenge is to post (on your blog) a healthy alternative type recipe that you can take to a BBQ, Potluck or Family Gathering.
I've been so wanting to try this recipe since I saw it in an e-mail I got from Hungry-Girl. I think I will try it this weekend! Perfect challenge for me to try this!
Pump-Up-the-Jam Cocktail Weenies
PER SERVING (3 cocktail weenies with sauce): 75 calories, 1.5g fat, 619mg sodium, 12.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 3g sugars, 6g protein -- POINTS® value 2*
14 Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks (or another brand of nearly fat-free hot dogs with 40 - 45 calories each)
1 cup chili sauce (the kind found by the ketchup, like the one by Heinz)
3/4 cup sugar-free grape or seedless blackberry jam (like the ones by Smucker's)
3/4 cup very finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Place all ingredients except for the hot dogs in your crock pot. Stir until completely mixed.
Cut each hot dog into thirds, leaving you with cocktail-sized franks. Add those to the pot, and gently mix to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 3 - 4 hours, occasionally giving it a gentle stir (if you're around to do it; if not, it's okay).
Stir well and then serve up franks with extra sauce on top!
MAKES 14 SERVINGS